Ah yes, the classic crooked garage door gap.
Nothing like that sinking feeling in your stomach when you watch your garage door hit the ground crooked. Might as well put up an “Animal Shelter” sign while you’re at it, considering you’ll probably come home to eight mice and a raccoon waiting for you. There are a couple reasons you’re running into this problem, but whatever the reason, we hate to shoot you straight – it’s time to call the experts (that’s us, in case you’re wondering).
Why Your Garage Door is Crooked
- If you have a wooden garage door, the bottom panel could be sagging on one side. Wooden garage doors can warp, and this can cause some major problems later on in a garage door’s life.
- Your garage door may have a broken spring. This is the #1 problem we run into, and it’s likely your’s if you’re reading this. Unfortunately it’s not something you can fix on your own, so please be careful and do NOT try fixing it on your own. You may end up flat as a pancake.
- You may have a broken cable. This problem is almost as common as a broken garage door spring. Sadly you’ll need us for this one, too.
What You Should Avoid Doing
- If it’s open, DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE DOOR DOWN. All the pressure from a broken cable or spring is just waiting to pop that garage door right off the track. The perfectionist in you can’t stand the crooked-ness of it all, but you do NOT want that garage door falling on your head.
- This one’s a given after #1, but we’ll say it anyway: DO NOT FORCE IT OPEN. Some people think it’s a great idea to fix a crooked garage door by pulling the red handle on the opener, but then you run into the problem of your door getting stuck in the upright position, which is even more dangerous.
Long story short, crooked garage doors are the worst. You don’t want animals getting in there, and you certainly don’t want that beast falling down on you. So give us a call. We do garage door repair in Columbus and the surrounding areas. We’d love to help you out.Contact Us!